Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dogen

I enjoyed reading Dogen because expressed to study the self, the self is to forget the self, and to forget the self is to be enlightened by all things, and to be enlightened by all things is to drop off our own body and mind and next to drop off the bodies and minds of others. This made me think how so many people search and search for enlightenment as they experiment with many different things. Some of the those things are good and some are bad but really the thing that can enlighten one is to get to know yourself. As the writer states; “the truth is already in us.”
I agree with the author about the analogy of the boat and the shore, depending on where one stands the other seems to be moving. This reminded me of the old saying; “one can’t see the trees through the forest.” I really struggled to understand the Zen Master and Monk conversation about the wind. The whole wind brings forth the gold of the earth and turns its long rivers into wine. That I find crazy!
The practice of Meditation I really enjoyed because it challenges one to learn to listen to the voice within yourself. Then it talks about how we search, sift and shuffle through so many other forms of knowledge to find our true self in our fullness. I found the detailed description of how to properly meditate so moving and inspiring. Meditation’s main theme is discipline and practice and after one uses this power within self, then fruit will be given. Then it states one will discover the treasure of wisdom, which in turn one can share abundantly with others, bringing another happiness and peace. That is so similar to what Jesus wants us to do! Share our blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment