Monday, March 2, 2009

RUMI (1207-1273)

I can’t really say that I enjoyed this reading but it made me think over and over and slowly I started some conversation within myself. The metaphor of starting from the embryo, to the infant, to the child, to the searcher and finally, to the hunter got me thinking: I only know what I’ve experienced. If I don’t experience different seasons in life what will I know? If a person was in a satisfying season they would not want to experience another and yet that would hinder our education of life experiences and we could get stuck in an infant stage or child stage. Now how healthy would that be? Our lives seem to be a constant desire for more, more of what we like, more of what we want and yet when achieved we have a dying cry inside; saying is that it?
After Moses’ revelation from God saying: God has given separate and unique way of seeing/knowing, wrong/right, poison/honey, purity/impurity, sloth/diligence in worship, mean nothing to God; reminded me how uniquely different we are and some of us could handle certain seasons to become more fully developed, while others could be destroyed by the same season. Then he talked about looking inside at the humility and not the words that they say repeating: he wants burning, burning, friends with your burning, burn up your thinking. I visualized the power of fire in a forest and how quickly it spreads gaining momentum with added fuel of the next tree nearby. Does this mean we are to share the burning of seasons that we experience growing us to the next level with those nearby us?
Some of this reading I found moving and then some of it crazy. I was constantly torn: “do I like this or not?” Like the part where it says: “Loosen your tongue and don’t worry what comes out.”

2 comments:

  1. I think that when Rumi says that God says to loosen your tongues and not to worry what comes out, he is referring to when worshipping God. We should't have to think about the words to articulate our passion for Him, but instead should just worship and love Him however comes naturally to us. That is what God was telling Moses at least.
    And He undoubtedly wants to consume us. I don't know if by claiming that we should be on fire, burning, if that meant that we were to spread it to those around us, but I know I got the understanding that we ourselves were to be so passionate, that we are to express it in whichever way we know how, as long as it is heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Rumi was refering to these stages of life as experiences and in the first sentence he says, "little by little, wean yourself." Is it possible that he is saying wean yourself from these experiences, from the worlds intricacies. Let these all be hallucinations so that the only experience you have is back to the basic one in the beginning, in God's Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete