Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Heraclitus (6th-5th Century B.C.E.)

I enjoyed Heraclitus aphorisms because I could elaborate on each one with life experiences. So, I will pick just a few of my favorites. All things flow; this means to me everything happens for a reason. Maybe we don't understand it at the time but looking back, I can say: now I know why I experienced that it was to prepare me for this situation. The sun is new every day; this reminds me no matter what kind of day I had, I get a another opportunity for a new day. A good nights sleep after a bad day can bring the sun into my heart and mind even if the physical sun is not shinning outside. I have the privilege of choosing to let the sun shine inside of me or not.
That gives me the results of being powerful, like the sun's warmth instead of being pitiful. You can't step twice into the same river; confirms to me that I better learn from my mistakes in order to grow and share with others the knowledge I have learned in bad decisions. I have been known to be a slow learner in some areas and stepped into the same river again, thinking dang I knew better from the last time I went through this. To men, some things are good and some are bad. But to God, all things are good and beautiful and just; supports my thoughts of God making us in the image of himself. God is good, God is beautiful, God is just, and He desires that of us. But so quickly we judge and quickly point out what is bad. This must break God's heart! I struggle and disagree with the aphorism, eternity is a child playing checkers. I'm still trying to grasp that short sentence.
I found his ideas moving except the one about checkers a little crazy. I could only think that children do take a long time finding their move. I don't know! Then I thought maybe its the process of growing up and putting away childish things and childish thoughts. Being a child did seem like eternity and now life is like a roll of toliet paper, the closer I get to the end the faster it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you said about how you cant step twice into the same river. That to you it meant you need to learn from your mistakes and help others with what you learned. Great way to look at it and very true. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete